Aug 30, 2011

Cherry Delight

Two recipes in one week! Look at me grow go! This is a long time favorite recipe of mine that I can remember my mother making as a small child. She didn't make it often- maybe once a year, but I think that is what made it even more special.

We had a kick off to a new women's bible study at church tonight, and this was the dessert that I took. It's a great summer dessert, but can definitely be enjoyed throughout the year!


I have attempted fat free cream cheese in the past, and while it tasted good, it didn't have the structure that I would like for it to have. So if I'm making it for my family, I would still probably do the fat free, but since I was taking this to a public function tonight, I opted for reduced fat instead. Also, this is "an old recipe" (per my mother), and it calls for Dream Whip (it is located next to the jello in the grocery store).

This is basically a form of cool whip that you make from a powder, milk, and vanilla (I used skim milk), so I think if you wanted to throw this recipe together quickly, you could easily substitute cool whip in place of the dream whip. Also, Hunter prefers strawberries over cherries, so the past couple of times I have technically made it "Strawberry Delight." Both ways are delish! One of these days I'm going to attempt an entire makeover of this recipe- using splenda, fat free cream cheese, and sugar free pie filling. I'm not sure how it would compare to the real deal, but I think it's worth trying!


No comments:

Post a Comment