Nov 15, 2011

What's In a Name?

So after months of debate, we have officially decided on a name for our little guy. Coming up with and agreeing on a name is something that I definitely underestimated the level of difficulty. Who knew how opinionated you and your hubby could suddenly become when it comes to deciding on a baby name? Not this girl! I had no idea! I thought I was going to be the picky one, considering I work at a children's hospital, and hear every name under the sun- from the traditional, to the over-used, to the trendy, to the ones that seriously look like a jumble of consonants thrown together, with a couple of vowels and apostrophe in the mix. So I feel like I was already somewhat jaded when it came to a lot of names, because certain names always make you think of certain children, or certain families, and those memories aren't always happy ones. However, I quickly realized that my husband also associates certain names with certain people, and doesn't want those names to be used for his child. Understandable!

So, despite what you may think, "Baby Ray" will not be listed on his birth certificate. Instead, we will be naming this little guy:

Wilson Hunter
and we are going to call him:

"Will."

We figured that you only get one chance to name your first born son after his daddy, so why not take advantage of an opportunity? We knew that we wanted to keep the "Wilson H.," as Hunter, his dad, and his grandfather all share the same first and (obviously) last names, and middle initial, so in our minds, we just needed to come up with an "H" name. We narrowed it down to two names, then settled on "Hudson." We both loved the name Hudson, and still do! But one day I was talking to a friend at work about his name, and she asked the obvious question, "Why don't you just name him after Hunter?" Um...I really couldn't answer that. So I went home that evening and asked Hunter what he thought about naming his little boy after him. I think we both realized at the same time how perfect that was, and although it seemed so obvious, it had never really crossed our minds for some reason.

It definitely made it more real to know that we were having a little boy, but now that we can call him by his name instead of just "Baby Ray," it really feels like we are bonding with him already!

No comments:

Post a Comment