Oct 11, 2011

Blessed Assurance

The closing hymn at church on Sunday was one of my old time favorites, "Blessed Assurance." I just love it. I think that it is a combination of the words, and also the love that I have for the old hymns that I feel like are rarely sung at most churches these days. It takes me back to the days of sitting between my Nannie and Grandaddy at church, sharing an old red hymnal between the three of us. I just love those sweet memories, and I just love the words of this song!

Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine
Oh what a foretaste of Glory Divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my savior, all the day long.

Yesterday morning, Hunter and I had some "Blessed Assurance" of our own at our 20 week appointment and ultrasound. When most people think of the 20 week appointment, they think of being able to find out the gender of their little one. But really, it is a much more detailed ultrasound than that, and this is when they can now prenatally diagnose lots of potential issues that the baby may have by looking carefully at his brain, heart, kidneys, spine, blood flow, and lots of other things that I'm sure I wasn't even aware of.

I had mixed emotions about this appointment for sure- I was really excited to see our little man, and I was even more excited for Baby Daddy to see his little man, but I have also been really nervous about the full anatomy ultrasound. But, Praise God, we both got a great report, and it looks like Baby Ray is right on track with his growth! He was estimated to weigh 12 ounces today at his appointment, which they said was perfect.


This next picture is quite funny, if you know the story behind it. During the entire ultrasound, Baby Boy was kicking, punching, and squirming and giving us quite a little show. His daddy really was amazed at how much he is moving, and I was amazed that he is moving so much more than I even can feel! He kept stretching out his legs entirely, over and over again. You can see that his legs are bent in this picture, but imagine him kicking his legs out fully straight, repeatidly.
Once we got a good view of this, the ultrasound tech said, "You see that black spot over here on the right side? That's mommy's bladder. And that's your little boy kicking your bladder. That should be really fun for you in the next few weeks!" Ha! Little stinker!


This was just a standard ultrasound, but she was sweet enough to show us a few pictures of him in 4D, and I can't get over these pictures! It is amazing how much detail you can see! In this one, he started sucking his thumb.
And this one is my all-time favorite picture of him. He just looks so sweet and so content! We love him so much already!
Last night when we got in the bed, we watched the DVD of his ultrasound together and were again in awe of that sweet little baby that is growing inside of me. It's just amazing to watch him move around, and watch how he already has so many different little facial expressions! We are so blessed, and so in love with this little man!
 
“From the fullness of grace we have received one blessing after another” - John 1:16

4 comments:

  1. That just makes me smile! I am so glad you got a great report, and he is so precious just like his mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just shared at work and can't wipe the smile away! I remember that day fondly...kept telling the tech just tell me there are no extra holes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious. I just passed around my phone in the car to everybody to see your sweet boy while i cried:) Christian and Sunny were just in awe..Christian said, 'man I wish you had an ultrasound picture of me like that..but I guess that was back in the olden days!' That's what you have to look forward to;) Teasing. Just like when they were in my tummy, I love those 2 more and more every moment! So happy for you friend:)

    ReplyDelete