Sep 30, 2013

Visiting Dothan

Way back in June, I loaded up my boys into the car and we headed south to spend some much needed time with our dear friends The Steltenpohls and The Skinners. I used to hang out with these guys all the time way back in the day, and then life happened- I moved to Birmingham, met a boy, got married, moved to Atlanta, moved back to Birmingham, had a baby, etc. Life gets busy quickly, as you know. Jess and I have seen each other briefly here and there over the past couple of years, but we just needed a weekend to hang out, and actually have a real life, face-to-face conversation rather than our continuous texting conversations.

We got to Dothan fairly late on Friday night, with just enough time to have a night cap or two and catch up on life.

Saturday morning Will woke up bright and early (surprise, surprise) and we took an early morning walk down to the lake to see the ducks, which he loved! Until they got to close. And then he was over it. Once the rest of the house got up and moving, the boys headed to the golf course, and the girls and the babes headed to a much more fun destination- Krispy Kreme.


And because now I'm considered an "out-of-towner," we had to get an obligatory picture in front of one of the many peanuts that are seen throughout the Peanut Capitol of the World.



After our bellies were filled and the children were high on sugar, we let them play and play and play some more.

Sweet Hampton. I just love him!









This was one (of many) attempts to get a group shot. Chaos. But real life, that's for sure.

Sweet Anna Lee has the biggest heart for "the babies." She is so patient and kind to them, and always made sure they had what they needed.





About 30 minutes prior to nap time, we decided it would be a great idea to take the kids to the clubhouse for lunch. We felt like it was an accomplishment to not only make it through lunch without losing a kid, but also to actually get to sneak a few bites in ourselves. It was a wild lunch to say the least. I think poor Hampton nearly fell asleep eating, Mac was not even remotely interested in eating, and Will wasn't the slightest bit interested in staying at the table. Instead, it was more fun to run around like a crazed boy. But we made it. And we have proof.


Mr. Will got his first taste of a Capri Sun that weekend and I'm pretty sure it rocked his world.

And he also had some pretty meaningful conversation with Coop-dog.


We had some fun play time by the pool, even though Anna Lee's face suggests otherwise.





And then we headed back in for some more play time, AKA let's-see-how-quickly-we-can-destroy- your-parents'-house time.


Mac is SO funny, and has such a sweet, content spirit!

And have no fear, Doc McAnna Lee was making house calls all weekend as well.


And we had a few more attempts at a group shot of the boys and their little momma, Anna Lee.


These precious girls mean the world to me. They are two of the most genuine, sincere people you will ever meet, and I have no idea how I would have made it through my first year of motherhood (and now pregnancy while trying to keep up with a toddler!) without their constant support, advice, and encouragement!




Sunday morning we headed back down to the lake to feed the geese and to catch some fish.





Josh was the only one that managed to reel in a fish that morning, and Will wasn't really sure what to think of that thing. Goodness gracious, that tummy.

And can I just say for the record, thank you Jess for showing my husband that no, I am not the only picture-obsessed mom in the world. It was nice to have a partner in my paparazzi efforts.

We left that weekend feeling refreshed and refilled. I don't think that there is anything in this world that can compare to catching up with old friends, and it did my heart some good to spend time with these sweet friends and their precious littles. Let's not go this long next time, ok Jess and Ash?


4 comments:

  1. What an amazing history of friendship of all generations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the timing of this post. Seriously...I know we both joke about our "timliness" of blogging lately but I think it hit my world perfectly. It was so nice to relive a fun weekend. I love all of the pics. Its amazing how much has changed in our house since those pics too...I feel like it was decades ago just looking at how long Anna Lee's hair and the furniture in the den. Ya'll need to come back soon now, ya hear! I love our ongoing text convos...but seeing the real life Shepherds can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Miss you guys already! We must plan another weekend soon or at least before two more babes are added to our pack of kiddos! ; )

    ReplyDelete