Jul 14, 2012

5 months


Mr. Will, you are 5 months old! Time is flying by at warp speed, and I'm not sure I'm ready to grasp that in just a few more weeks you'll already be a half year old!

We didn't have a pediatrician's visit this month, but according to our scales at home, you are weighing in at a whopping 17 pounds. You are wearing size 2 diapers, and are finally wearing some of your size 6 months outfits! A lot of 3 months and 3-6 months clothes still fit you well, but I have had to start putting away some of the smaller 3 month items.

I think you had your first touch of a stomach virus about two weeks ago. I came to feed you for your 4:00 feeding, and you wouldn't eat. I thought it was strange, considering it had been nearly 4 hours since you last ate, but I thought you just weren't hungry for whatever reason. You were acting totally normal, just refusing to eat. The next thing I knew, I was getting doused with baby throw up. It was so pitiful. It was like somebody turned on a fountain. You didn't like it either! I think it scared you, and it made you cry. That was the only time you got sick, but your diapers were definitely different the rest of the week. And then, two days later, mommy and daddy both woke up with your virus. I mean, we want you to learn the importance of sharing, but a tummy bug wasn't exactly what we had in mind. Little stinker.

Speaking of getting sick on mommy, the day before, I was feeding you (at work), and your little diaper leaked. On me. And it wasn't just a tee tee diaper. Did I mention I was at work? Mommy had to go home on her lunch break and change clothes. But I really didn't mind that much- it actually meant that I got to have an impromptu lunch date with daddy!

You are quite the talker still. You love to talk to people, and you L.O.V.E. for people to talk to you. You've even gotten a little whiny if you feel like you aren't being included in the conversation.

You are also discovering other noises your little mouth can make, with a little help from your daddy. This is now one of your favorite things to do.


I'm pretty sure you are teething. You aren't drooling too bad yet, but you are constantly putting your hands and your toys (and anything you can get your hands on) in your mouth. You don't really suck on your paci anymore- you chomp on it. And when I give you your wubba nub, you chew all over it. Your favorite thing to do in the bathtub is to suck on your washcloth. I think it feels good to your "itchy" gums. That's what your daycare ladies tell me anyway. You've also been significantly more fussy at night lately, which isn't like you at all. It makes me sad to know that something is making you uncomfortable.

Speaking of daycare, you are still going to work with me. Mommy may or may not have gotten an extension on your transition care twice now. So the new D-day for "real" daycare is July 30. For real this time. I think.

You've been doing great with sleeping through the night- until this past week. I don't know if it's your gums, or you're going through a growth spurt, or both, but you just can't seem to get settled at night. I hope this is just a small phase that passes quickly- for your sake, and mine.


You are still on mommy milk only. You mostly nurse, but sometimes have to take a bottle if I am busy at work. The ladies at work are amazed at how well you take a bottle considering how rarely you have to take one. I'm thankful you are flexible like that. My goal is to wait until you are 6 months to introduce any foods, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe that might help with you sleeping better at night. I'm trying to stretch you out to 4 hours between your feedings, and you are doing great sometimes, but not so great other times. Right now, you eat at 5:30, 9, 12:30, 4, and 7:30. If your schedule gets a little off at work (if I come to feed you a little early because of how my day is going), I can almost always get you to wait 4 hours in the afternoon. Sometimes I can in the morning too, if you are asleep. Ha! But that's usually the only way you'll wait. And you've actually even gone 4 1/2 hours a couple of times. My ideal feeding schedule for you would be 7, 11, 3, 7:30. Maybe one day we'll get there. I have a feeling that you aren't going to go for that until you have some food in your tummy though.

You play so well by yourself- most of the time. If you are tired, or if it is after about 6:30 or 6:45, we can forget about it. But, you do love your toys. You still love your activity gym, and you've recently discovered how much fun your exersaucer is. We've tried your jumpy thing, but you don't really get what you are supposed to be doing just yet. I'm sure that is just around the corner though!
Wearing one of your daddy's Feltman brothers outfits

You are still crazy about sweet Fraser. You even got your first kiss from her this month!
And then one day, I caught you playing footsy with her.

I know you are definitely going to miss playing with your friend everyday when you both have to go seperate ways to your own daycares.


You have gotten SO much better at tummy time. You mastered rolling from tummy to back a while ago, but you still haven't gotten the back-to-tummy concept down. Your little arm gets in the way, and you can't seem to quite push yourself over just yet. You're pretty good at getting up on your side though.

You've also discovered your feet recently. And, might I add, you've been quite resourceful with them. You couldn't quite reach the elephant on your activity gym with your hands the other day, so you started using your feet to grab him. You also "help" me change your diaper by lifting your little legs up in the air when I put you on your changing table.
And, as of this week, you are sitting up on your own! You did it a couple of times in my lap this week (without leaning back on me), but you did it for real on your own this weekend, first on the changing table, and then I sat you on the bed in your room, and you showed us again. We were so proud of you!

We bought you some shades the other day. I didn't intend on buying them- we were in a store and saw them. I tried them on you to see how you would react, and you thought it was hilarious. Once I saw how precious you were in them, and how funny you thought they were, we couldn't resist them. I can't look at you with them on without giggling.

Also this month, we attended our first wedding as a family of three. You did great through the ceremony, but started talking at the end. I was thankful that it was outside. You also managed to not mess up your sweet little outfit, and I thought that was a major accomplishment. :)

Mr. Will, you continue to amaze us every single day. I feel like you've learned something new every day this week, and although it makes me sad to see you growing so quickly, I love seeing you grow and thrive and develop! We love you to the moon and back!

2 comments:

  1. Oh those sweet blue eyes are adorable! He is growing so fast! He is one precious, happy boy! By the way, Hampton loves to talk and be talked to as well...and he has recently started getting upset if he feels left out too. I guess our boys think the attention must be on them at all time but of course it is anyway! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post, and your blog, is so sweet! How precious your journey is! I love it!

    ReplyDelete