So this is just a couple of weeks late, but we had a low-key Fourth this year, and stayed in town. I actually went in to work that morning, but thankfully was only there for a couple of hours.
That afternoon, we went to Hunter's parents' house to celebrate with the family. Sweet Caroline got some pool time in before we had dinner.
The night before, Hunter started smoking a Boston Butt on his new Big Green Egg. He did a great job, and it made some of the best pulled pork sandwiches I had ever had! I didn't get a picture, but you can just imagine a pulled pork sandwich and yumminess. :)
This year was the first year in a loooong time that I wasn't with my family on the Fourth, and my heart ached for them. I've missed my "babies" since they left for Washington in September, but something about being away from them on the Fourth made me so sad.
But, I have a new baby...our own baby, this year. That's crazy to me. It was a year ago on the Fourth that I shared the news with our family that we were expecting a little one. My, how a year can change your life.
Despite missing my family, I was so thankful that I had Hunter's family to celebrate with. And, this goes without saying, but I'm also very thankful for those who have sacrificed their lives for us so that we can even celebrate such an important American holiday. My brothers have had their share of holidays spent away from their families because of their military service, and it's because of selfless individuals like them that we can have these carefree days. Happy Birthday America!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment