Jun 19, 2012

I couldn't have said it better myself

My dear friend Jessica posted this tonight, and I couldn't agree with her more. I touched on this subject here, but I feel like she wrote it so much more elequintely than I did.

I told her that it was as if she could read every emotion that I experience on a daily basis. There is a constant mental (and emotional) battle that goes on daily when you are a parent- whether it be a stay-at-home mom (or dad!), a full time working mom, or a part-time working mom. Although I strongly feel that me working is what is best for our family right now, there is always that guilt in the back of my mind. I think (and I hope) this is normal, but it helps to know that there are others out there that fight the same battle I do on a daily basis as well.

Like Jess, I'm fortunate to love what I do. I love helping the families I work with, and I equally (if not more) love the girls that I've been blessed to work beside. I think my job makes me a better person, and makes me appreciate the small things in life that we so often take for granted- like the health of my child, among many, many other things.

It is more difficult than I thought having to field the question of, "Are you going/have you gone back to work?"  I've even had someone tell me once, "Well, maybe you'll be able to stay at home one day." I wasn't crazy about that response- at all. In fact, I probably let it get the best of me, and it infuriated me the more I thought about it.

The bottom line is, we're doing what is good for our family right now. I think it's great that some moms stay home, and I think that can definitely be just as (if not more) difficult as someone who works full time. And although there are definitely days that I want stay at home and rock that baby all day long, there are an equal amount of days that I leave work feeling good about the difference I (hopefully) made that day. It's nice to be needed, it's nice to be valued, and it's nice to have that validation outside of the four walls of your home sometimes. But with that being said, it's also really, really nice to come home and love on that baby, smell his sweet head, and hear those precious giggles. However, I can honestly say that those hours away from Baby Will make those cherished moments even more special.

3 comments:

  1. I just love you and that we can share all of this together. I, too, was infuriated when I read that someone said that remark to you. The nerve of someone to think that every woman would make the same decision she made...how insensitive and rude!! Ive had the same type of things slipped into conversations Ive had with friends before and it takes a lot of self control to not pop off back to them. Thanks for the blog love...and by the way, I LOVE all of Will's 4 month pics and stats. He is soooo cute and is chunking up more with every new set of pics you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The right choice for you and your family...is made by you and your family. Majella has been a working Mom for 17 years and counting...My girls would not understand anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beautiful and strong... no one knows what is best for you and your family, but you and God!

    ReplyDelete