Seven nights in a row, and I think we can officially say we have ditched the swaddle!
Now don't get me wrong- we loved the swaddle while it lasted. Loved it. At first Will wasn't so sure he loved it, and he would grunt like a crazy man. Grunt and squirm and grunt some more. But after a few weeks he grew to accept it, and seemed to enjoy the straight jacket that we would put him in every night.
It seemed to calm him down so that he could get the rest he (and mommy) so desperately needed. He is such a squirmy, active little guy that he definitely needed to be wrapped as tightly as he could be every night, just so he would be able to rest and relax and fall asleep.
However, I knew there would be a time that he would outgrow this wonderful contraption (our favorite was The Miracle Blanket), and then I wouldn't know what to do. I just knew that he would never be able to sleep unless he was wrapped up like a little sausage. He was able to break it in the middle of the night, but it at least stayed on him long enough to go to sleep.
As a side note, our little boy is a typical sweaty boy. From the time we brought him home from the hospital, we couldn't put him in anything more than his swaddle and his diaper at night because he would literally sweat through all of the layers, and his crib sheet would even be damp. So sometimes I would put him in footed pajamas after his bath (if he felt a little cool), and then take his pj's off and swaddle him when I put him down.
So one night last week, he was in some pj's after a bath, I nursed him, and he fell asleep while he was eating. I decided to go ahead and put him down, fully expecting him to wake up kicking and squirming as soon as I laid him down in the crib, and then I would go in there and have to take his pj's off and swaddle him. But, little man surprised us both. He did wake up a few minutes after I laid him down, and kicked and squirmed for a few minutes, but then just drifted off to sleep. I worried that he would wake up earlier than he normally does, but he didn't! He slept as well as he normally does and never skipped a beat!
Yay for unexpected surprises! Now if only he could surprise his mommy by sleeping through the night...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









Great job, Will! So proud of him and the unexpected treat! Hopefully he has another gift coming down the pipe for you soon!
ReplyDelete