I swear this has been the quickest two weeks of my life, and I have a feeling that time doesn't slow down from here.
After coming home from the NICU on Friday the 17th, they wanted to see Will at the pediatrician's office the first of the week to get a baseline look at him. So that next Monday, we loaded up the car for our very first "outing" (if you can even call it that) as a family.
He got a great report from the doctor, and made his pediatric nutritionist of a mommy proud by already reaching his birth weight at 9 days old! I had full intentions of getting a picture of him getting weighed in, but baby boy thought the world was coming to an end when we took his clothes off and put him on that freezing scale, so the mommy instincts kicked in and consoling him suddenly was way more important than getting a picture.
Good thing daddy was there to help with the meltdown!
Doesn't he look so tiny in this picture?
We didn't get a new length or head circumference, but assuming that he didn't grow much in length since birth, this put him at the 3rd percentile for weight, 8th percentile for length, 4th percentile for head circumference, and 22nd percentile for wt/length. So still on the small side, but at least he's proportionate!
We went back for another weight check today, and little piggy has gained a whopping 13 ounces in a week! He's now 6 lbs and 14 ounces. I knew he had been eating a lot, but I had no idea he was gaining that much weight. Again, definitely made mommy proud, and provided some comfort that mommy's milk is definitely giving him the calories and protein that he needs. This put him at the 7th percentile for weight, and 60th percentile for weight for length (provided he hasn't grown in length)!
Speaking of being a little piggy, baby boy has decided that a two hour feeding schedule is WAY more fun than a three hour schedule. I got excited at the end of the week last week, because we had a couple of days of three hours between feeds, but not so much anymore. We may have one three hour stretch at night if we're lucky. But, thankfully I'm at home on maternity leave, and have the luxury of taking a nap here and there
Despite the lack of sleep we are getting around here, this little guy has some hilarious post-meal time faces that get a laugh out of his momma every time. Do these faces ever stop? I hope not. They bring way too much joy in my life!
And I was lucky today and got two of my favorite faces without even feeding him first. I would love to know what he's thinking when he makes these little expressions!
A few other things that little boy likes:
His daddy's chest
Breaking out of his swaddle
And holding his hands. We laughed and laughed at him when I took this picture, because he looks like an old man kicked back in his recliner!
Although we knew we would love our little boy, we had no idea how much pure joy he would bring into our lives in such a short amount of time. We are tremendously blessed!










All I have is smiles....welcome to the club! The feelings and faces don't end they just change over and over!
ReplyDeleteLove the new pics! The "ohhhh" face of his before his feeding is hilarious. AL used to make that face and I laughed and laughed at her. I feel your pain with the reversion to the 2 hour feeding. The same thing happened with Mac at 2 weeks and I was so disappointed. Thankfully after about a week, we were able to stretch back out to 3hours durIng the day and 4 at night. Hopefully Will is just going thru the same thing. Glad you guys are doing well and soaking up these first few precious weeks. Love you!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! Love the expressions! I knew that 'love at first sight' was real when my neice was born. It is amazing how these little ones change us.
ReplyDelete