My sweet, sweet Grandaddy is now 92 years young! We were fortunate enough to get to celebrate with him last weekend in Kentucky. They were having some unseasonably cool August weather, which we thoroughly enjoyed all weekend.
Ironically, the two weekends that I've been to Kentucky this summer (June, and now August), it has been too cold to swim. Never in a million years would I think it would ever be "too cold to swim" on any given southern summer day, but I've experienced it twice this year. And to make it even more strange, this was in the middle of one of the hottest summers on record for Kentucky, where they had nearly a week of 100+ temps in July.
Being the mean mommy that I am, I was determine to let Will at least feel the water for the first time since he has never been any any water outside of his bathtub. I stuck his feet in the water for a few minutes, and he didn't really have a reaction- he didn't act like it bothered him, but didn't really act that excited either. So we braved the cool water and put him in his float for a few minutes.
This lasted for all of 30 seconds before we got him out. He was not a happy camper, as you can see. He started doing his back-arch move that he does when he's trying to get out of one of his seats- his high chair, exersaucer, bumbo, etc, so we called it quits. But he was cute in all of his gear, regardless!
So we set him down in his pack and play and let him play with his toys in the shade with a good breeze. He had no problems with that.
It apparently felt so good outside in the breeze that he just gave up and took a good nap. Doesn't it always seem like the best naps are outside with a breeze? Usually that means on the beach, but I'm sure it is just as good on a farm in Kentucky too.
Apparently he wasn't the only that had that idea. Like father, like son. You know it's a good weekend when you get to take two outside naps.
And of course what's a trip to Kentucky without some play time with Tucker?
Sweet Tucker LOVES "Baby Will," or in Tucker language, "Ba' Wee-ul."
On Saturday, Tucker got to go to the "wodeo" with his Gammy, and I thought he looked so cute in his blue jeans and cowboy boots. I would have loved to have seen the look on his face when he got to see all the action at the rodeo!
Sunday after church, we had a yummy lunch outside and continued to enjoy the beautiful weather. My mom made a cake that our family calls "yellow angel food cake," but if you know what angel food cake is- this is definitely not it. The cake has 11 egg yolks in it, so it most definitely does not qualify for angel food cake. However, it is one of the yummiest cakes that we have at our family gatherings- and that says a lot! It is iced with boiled icing (or "7 minute icing," whichever term you prefer), and it is SO good. My Grandaddy doesn't make a lot of requests, but he requested this, and I think we all agreed that it was a good decision.
And what's a birthday party without ice cream to go with your cake? We also had home made peach ice cream that was super yummy as well.
I think the family agreed, it was all around a good meal, and a great day!
We couldn't let the day end without a picture of Grandaddy and his girls,
and their boys,
and then his "original" girls.
A lot has changed over the past two years at Grandaddy's birthday parties (here and here), but what hasn't changed is how thankful we are for him. He is the rock in our family, and we are so blessed to have his wisdom, guidance, and love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment